SANTA BARBARA, Calif.- Coming off a heart breaking 4-3 loss less than 24 hours before, the Gauchos (2-4) took to the courts and took care of business, defeating UC Davis (3-4) by a final score of 4-0.
The win marked head coach Simon Thibodeau's 200th career victory.
#10 Palina Dubavets and Stefani Stojic came out firing in their doubles match and never looked back. The Gaucho duo defeated Lani Rae Green and Kristy Jorgensen 6-0. Soon after, Melissa Baker and her partner Stephanie Yamada clinched the doubles point for the Gauchos with a 6-3 win of their own. Lou Adler and Amanda Atanasson continued with their match despite the clinch, but fell 6-4.
Jaimee Gilbertson, who sat out for the doubles portion of the match for the first time this weekend, was nice and fresh for her singles match. Playing in the five spot, Gilbertson took control of her match early and rolled to a 6-0, 6-1 victory over Freddie Sleiffer.
Next off was Dubavets, who continued her success from her doubles match to defeat Green 6-3, 6-0 to give the Gauchos the 3-0 lead.
The Gauchos had three matches with a 5-2 score in the second set and it was a race to clinch. Adler was the Gaucho to clinch the match for UCSB, as she took down Jorgensen 6-3, 6-2. All other matches were stopped and declared unfinished.
The Gauchos will stay home next weekend to host LMU and San Francisco. LMU will play Feb 20 at 12pm and San Francisco will visit on Feb 21 at 12pm.
No. 60 UC Santa Barbara vs UC Davis
Santa Barbara, Calif,
Rec Center Courts
UCSB 4, UC Davis 0
1. Palina Dubavets (UCSB) def. Lanie Rae GReen (UCD) 6-3, 6-0
2. Lou Adler (UCSB) def. Kristy Jorgensen (UCD) 6-3, 6-3
3. Stefani Stojic(UCSB) vs. Jessie Lee (UCD) 6-2, 5-2 unf.
4. Amanda Atanason (UCSB) vs. Kami Kecki (UCD) 6-3, 5-2 unf.
5. Jaimee Gilbertson (UCSB) def. Freddie Sleiffer(UCD) 6-0, 6-1
6. Natalie Da Silveira (UCSB) vs. Tiffany Pham (UCD) 6-3, 4-5 unf.
Order of finish (5, 1 ,2)
1. #10 Palina Dubavets/Stefani Stojic (UCSB) def. Lani Rae Green/Kristy Jorgensen (UCD) 6-0
2. Tiffany Pham/Alex Huie (UCD) def. Lou Adler/Amanda Atanasson (UCSB) 6-4
3. Melissa Baker/Stephanie Yamada (UCSB) def. Kami Kecki/Freddie Sleiffer (UCD) 6-3
Order of finish (1, 3, 2)
No. 60 UC Santa Barbara (2-4)