SANTA BARBARA, Calif.- The UC Santa Barbara Gauchos (6-6) fell to the Harvard Crimson (9-6) Saturday afternoon by a score of 4-3.
This marked UCSB's first home loss since February 13th against Washington State. All of the Gauchos' home losses this season have been by a score of 4-3.
The Gauchos started off the day strong as they were able to sweep through the doubles play. Lou Adler and Amanda Atanasson were the first off the court as they defeated Amy He and Nikki Kallenberg by a score of 6-3 on court three. At the number two position, Melissa Baker and Stephanie Yamada defeated June Lee and Erica Oosterhout by the same score. No. 19 Palina Dubavets and Stefani Stojic continued their fantastic season on court one, defeating Annika Ringblom and Sabrina Xiong by a score of 6-4.
Unfortunately for the Gauchos, Harvard was able to get victories on the bottom four courts to clinch the Crimson win.
Dubavets was one of the two Gauchos that was able to achieve a singles win as she defeated Kallenberg 6-2, 6-2 on court two to put the Gauchos up 2-0.
The Crimson got their first win of the day at the number six position as He took down UCSB's Natalie Da Silveira 7-6, 6-1. Soon after, Xiong defeated Jaimee Gilbertson on court five by a score of 6-4, 6-4 to tie the match at 2-2.
Oosterhout put the Crimson up 3-2 on court three as she beat Atanasson 4-6, 6-4, 6-3. The Crimson were able to clinch the match on court four as Ringblom defeated Stojic 4-6, 6-3, 6-4.
Despite the clinch, Adler finished her match and came out on top, defeating Lee 6-7, 6-3, 6-1.
The Gauchos will return to action on Monday as they host the No. 24 Fresno State Bulldogs at 11AM at the Rec Center Courts.
UC Santa Barbara Gauchos vs. Harvard Crimson
Santa Barbara, Calif.
Rec Center Courts
March 19, 2016
Harvard 4, UCSB 3
1. Lou Adler (UCSB) def. June Lee (H) 6-7, 6-3, 6-1
2. Palina Dubavets (UCSB) def. Nikki Kallenberg (H) 6-2, 6-2
3. Erica Oosterhout (H) def. Amanda Atanasson (UCSB) 4-6, 6-4, 6-3
4. Annika Ringblom (H) def. Stefani Stojic (UCSB) 4-6, 6-3, 6-4
5. Sabrina Xiong (H) def. Jaimee Gilbertson (UCSB) 6-4, 6-4
6. Amy He (H) def. Natalie Da Silveira (UCSB) 7-6, 6-1
Order of Finish (2, 6, 5, 3, 4, 1)
1. No. 19 Palina Dubavets/Stefani Stojic (UCSB) def. Annika Ringblom/Sabrina Xiong (H) 6-4
2. Melissa Baker/Stephanie Yamada (UCSB) def. Erica Oosterhout/June Lee (H) 6-3
3. Lou Adler/Amanda Atanasson (UCSB) def. Amy He/Nikki Kallenberg (H) 6-3
Order of Finish (3, 2, 1)