LUBBOCK, Texas – The UC Santa Barbara Women's Tennis team fell to No. 13 Texas Tech by a score of 4-1 at McLeod Tennis Center.
"We were right there with a No. 13 team away from home in a tough environment," said the head coach Simon Thibodeau. "Our doubles was very solid today and we had our chances in many singles."
The Gauchos brought to the 1-0 lead as the duo of Stefani Stojic and Palina Dubavets defeated Lynn Kiro and Alex Valenstein of Texas Tech 6-3. Although Melissa Baker and Stephanie Yamada fell to Sabrina Federici and Sarah Dvorak by a score of 7-5, UCSB's Natalie Da Silveira and Jaimee Gilbertson defeated Felicity Maltby and Gabriela Talaba 7-6 (7-4).
However, the Raiders responded in singles as Katelyn Jackoson defeated Yamada at No.6, 6-4, 3-6, 6-2. Next, Sabrina Federici defeated Atanasson at No. 5, 7-5, 6-1. The Raiders continued their winning streak as Sotjic fell to Texas Tech's Sarah Dvorak at No.4 by a score of 7-6 (7-5), 6-2 and at No. 1 Gabriela Talaba took down Dubavets, 6-4, 3-6, 6-2.
"It's a positive experience for this team and will get only stronger," Thibodeau said. "We have another tough top 20 match against South Carolina and we look forward to raise again to this challenge and show we belong to this level."
The Gauchos will remain in Texas where they'll face South Carolina and Arizona State on Jan. 29 at 3:00 p.m.
McLeod Tennis Center
Jan. 28, 2017
Doubles (Order of finish: 1,2,3)
Singles (Order of finish: 6,5,4,1)
1. Gabriela Talaba (TTU) def. Palina Dubavets (UCSB) 6-4, 3-6, 6-2
2. Jaimee Gilbertson (UCSB) def. Felicity Maltby (TTU) 0-6, 7-6 (7-4), 2-1
3. Natalie Da Silveira (UCSB) vs. Alex Valenstein (TTU) no result
4. Sarah Dvorak (TTU) def. Stefani Stojic (UCSB) 7-6 (7-5), 6-2
5. Sabrina Federici (TTU) def. Amanda Atanasson (UCSB) 7-5, 6-1
6. Katelyn Jackson (TTU) def. Stephanie Yamada (UCSB) 6-2, 6-0