LUBBOCK, Texas – UC Santa Barbara Women's Tennis team fell to South Carolina by a score of 4-1 at McLeod Tennis Center.
"Another close match versus a top 20 team," said the head coach Simon Thibodeau. "We had match points in doubles."
The Gamecocks opened up the doubles match with a lead as Hadley Berg and Paige Cline defeated Stefani Stojic and Palina Dubavets 6-1. UCSB's Melissa Baker and Stephanie Yamada took the next win against Brigit Folland and Caroline Dailey 6-2. At No.3, Jaimee Gilbertsona and Natalie Da Silveira attempted to fight of Rachel Rohrabacher and Mia Horvit of South Carolina but were defeated by a score of 7-6(7-4).
"It would have surely helped as Palina won a great match, Natalie was close to winning and Jaimee was close to split," said Thibodeau. "We need to play tougher across the board."
The Gauchos will head to UCLA for the fourth match of the season on Feb. 3 at 1:30 p.m.
South Carolina 4, UC Santa Barbara 1
McLeod Tennis Center
Jan. 29, 2017
1. Palina Dubavets (UCSB) def. Mia Horvit (SC): 6-4, 6-0
2. Paige Cline (SC) v. Jaimee Gilbertson (UCSB): 6-4, 5-5 (unfinished)
3. Caroline Dailey (SC) v. Natalie Da Silveira (UCSB): 7-6 (7-1), 4-3 (unfinished)
4. Silvia Chinellato (SC) v. Stefani Stojic (UCSB): 3-6, 6-1, 6-1
5. Brigit Folland (SC) def. Amanda Atanasson (UCSB): 6-2, 6-3
6. Hadley Berg (SC) v. Melissa Baker (UCSB): 6-4, 6-1