SANTA BARBARA, Calif. - The UC Santa Barbara Women's Tennis team opened their first home match of the season with a win against San Jose State 4-3.
In doubles, the Spartans routed the Gauchos as the duo of Tamara Culibrk and Miyo Kobayashi took the first win against Natalie Da Silveira and Jaimee Gilbertson 6-3 and Sybille Gauvain and Marie Klocker defeating the tandem of Stefani Stojic and Palina Dubavets 7-6 (3). Melissa Baker and Stephanie Yamada did not have a chance to finish its match at No. 2.
"I was happy with the way we bounced back after doubles," said the head coach Simon Thibodeau. "We got three convincing wins to put us in a favorable situation."
However, the Gauchos did not give up and broke the momentum of the Spartans as they made three consecutive wins in singles. Baker defeated Clara Mantaux 6-3, 6-0 at No. 6 as Da Silveira and Stojic defeated Klocker 6-2, 6-2 and Culibrk 6-3, 6-2 respectively. The Spartans attempted to fight back as Gilbertson fell to Marine Dans by a score of 7-6, 6-4 and Amanda Atanasson lost to Kobayashi 7-6, 2-6, 6-2. No. 1 Dubavets finished the match with a win against Gauvain of San Jose State by a score of 7-5, 2-6, 6-4.
Doubles (Order to finish: 3, 1)
Singles (Order to finish: 6, 2, 4, 3, 5, 1)
1. Palina Dubavets (UCSB) def. Sybille Gauvain (SJS) 7-5, 2-6, 6-4
2. Natalie Da Silveira (UCSB) def. Marie Klocker (SJS) 6-2,6-2
3. Marine Dans (SJS) def. Jaimee Gilbertson (UCSB) 7-6, 6-4
4. Stefani Stojic (UCSB) def. Tamara Culibrk (SJS) 6-3,6-2
5. Miyo Kobayashi (SJS) def. Amanda Atanasson (UCSB) 7-6, 2-6, 6-2
6. Melissa Baker (UCSB) def. Clara Mantaux (SJS) 6-3, 6-0