SANTA BARBARA, Calif - The UC Santa Barbara Women's Tennis team had another win this weekend against an undefeated University of Arizona by a score of 4-3.
"Great team effort overall," said the head coach Simon Thibodeau. "Both teams fought hard, glad to win a tough match versus an undefeated tough Arizona team.
The Gauchos opened up the doubles match with a lead as the duo of Stephanie Yamada and Melissa Baker defeated Paris Coreley and Marie Van Aelst 6-2. UCSB's Natalie Da Silveira and Jaimee Gilbertson took the next win against Devin Chypyha and Camila Wesbrooks 6-2. The doubles tandem of Palina Dubavets and Stefani Stojic did not have a chance to finish its match at No.1
UCSB continued their momentum in singles as No.5 Amanda Atanasson defeated Van Aelst by a score of 6-2, 6-3. The Cats attempted to fight off as Lauren Marker defeated Dubavets 6-4, 6-3 at No.1 and Arizona's Wesbrooks defeated Baker 6-3, 6-4. However, No.3 Gilbertson defeated Chypyha 0-6, 6-4, 6-3 and Corley lost to Stojic 7-5, 3-6, 6-2. Samantha Czarniak finished the singles and won a close match against Da Silveira by a score of 7-6, 6-4.
UC Santa Barbara 4, Arizona 3
Santa Barbara, California
Feb. 12 2017
Doubles (Order to finish: 2, 3)
Singles (Order to finish: 5, 1, 6, 3, 4, 2)
1. Lauren Marker (UA) def. Palina Dubavets (UCSB) 6-4, 6-3
2. Samantha Czarniak (UA) def. Natalie Da Silveira (UCSB) 7-6, 6-4
3. Jaimee Gilbertson (UCSB) def. Devin Chypyha (UA) 0-6,6-4,6-3
4. Stefani Stojic (UCSB) def. Paris Corley (UA) 7-5, 3-6, 6-2
5. Amanda Atanasson (UCSB) def. Marie Van Aelst (UA) 6-2, 6-3
6. Camila Wesbrooks (UA) def. Melissa Baker (UCSB) 6-3, 6-4