SANTA BARBARA, Calif. – UC Santa Barbara Women's Tennis team had a successful win against New Mexico on its home court 4-0.
"It was a solid win across the board," said the head coach Simon Thibedeau. "New Mexico has a lot of experience so the tough match level we played helped us."
The duo of Amanda Atanasson and Stefani Stojic opened up the doubles match with a win against Cassie Chung and Ruth Copas by a score of 6-2. Next, New Mexico's Rachana Bhat and Dominique Dulski defeated Natalie Da Silveira and Jaimee Gilbertson 6-1. The doubles tandem of Palina Dubavets and Melissa Baker brought the next point for the Gauchos with a win against Emliy Oliver and Diana 6-3.
Gauchos continued their winning streak as Amit Lev-Ari defeated Oliver 6-2, 6-0 at No.6 and Da Silveira defeated Dulski 6-4, 6-2 the following match. At No. 3 Gilbertson defeated Chung by a score of 6-1, 6-3 bringing the last point for the Gauchos. Dubavets, Stjoic, and Baker did not have a chance to finish their matches.
Gauchos will stay home for their next match against San Diego State on March 9 at 10:00 a.m.
UC Santa Barbara 4, New Mexico 0
Santa Barbara, California
March 5 2017
Doubles (Order to Finish: 3, 1, 2)
Singles (Order to Finish: 6, 2, 3)
1. Palina Dubavets (UCSB) vs. Ruth Copas (NM) 6-2, 5-4 (unfinished)
2. Natalie Da Silveira (UCSB) def. Dominique Dulski (NM) 6-4, 6-2
3. Jaimee Gilbertson (UCSB) def. Cassie Chung (NM) 6-1, 6-3
4. Stefani Stojic (UCSB) vs. Diana Wong (NM) 6-2, 4-4 (unfinished)
5. Melissa Baker (UCSB) vs. Rachana Bhat (NM) 6-4, 4-1 (unfinished)
6. Amit Lev-Ari (UCSB) def. Emily Oliver (NM) 6-2, 6-0