SANTA BARBARA, Calif. – The UC Santa Barbara Women's Tennis team (7-9) fell to University of Hawaii in its first match of the Big West Conference by a score of 4-1.
"Hawaii was more consistent in the windy conditions and deserved the win," said the head coach Simon Thibodeau. "We needed to execute better in doubles, then we had a strong chance to win the match."
The doubles tandem of Stefani Stojic and Amanda Atanasson opened up the doubles match with a win against Marina Hruba and Alzbeta Houbova 6-1 at No.3. Hawaii took the next two wins as No.2 Cindy Nguyen and Klara Pribylova defeated Natalie Da Silveira and Jaimee Gilbertson 6-2 and No.1 Petra Mleounova and Roxanne Resma defeated Palina Dubavets and Melissa Baker 6-4.
Hawaii continued its wining streak as No.1 Melounova defeated Dubavets 6-4, 6-4 and Michelle Pits defeated Baker 6-0, 6-4 at No.6. The Gauchos disturbed the streak as Atanasson defeated Nikola Dolakova 7-6, 6-3 at No.5. Hawaii took the last win as Gilbertson fell to Nguyen 7-5, 6-3 at No.2. No.3 Da Silveira and No.4 Resma were leading Hruba and Stojic by a score of 4-6, 6-2, 3-1 and 4-6, 5-5 respectively but did not have chances to finish their matches.
"We will try to bounce back quickly this Sunday," said Thibodeau.
Hawaii 4, UC Santa Barbara 1
Santa Barbara, California
March 30 2017
Doubles (Order to finish: 3, 2, 1)
Singles (Order to finish: 1, 6, 5, 2)
1. Petra Melounova (H) def. Palina Dubavets (UCSB) 6-4, 6-4
2. Cindy Nguyen (H) def. Jaimee Gilbertson (UCSB) 7-5, 6-3
3. Natalie Da Silveira (UCSB) vs. Marina Hruba (H) 4-6, 6-2, 3-1 (unfinished)
4. Roxanne Resma (H) vs. Stefani Stojic (UCSB) 4-6, 5-5 (unfinished)
5. Amanda Atanasson (UCSB) def. Nikola Dolakova (H) 7-6, 6-3
6. Michelle Pits (H) def. Melissa Baker (UCSB) 6-0, 6-4