SANTA BARBARA, Calif. – The UC Santa Barbara Women's Tennis team defeated another Big West Conference opponent UC Irvine by a score of 4-0.
"It was a clean win against Irvine, a good program that used to get the best of us in the past," said the head coach Simon Thibodeau. "It's good to be able to dominate them today from doubles to singles."
The doubles tandem of Stephanie Yamada and Natalie Da Silveira led the doubles match with a win against Cassidy Bransinte and Ashlynn Hall by a score of 6-1 at No.3. Next, the duo of Palina Dubavets and Melissa Baker defeated Constance Branstine and Stephanie Hazell 6-1 at No.1. No.2 Stefani Stojic and Amanda Atanasson led the match 5-2 but did not have a chance to finish their match.
The Gauchos continued their momentum in singles match as No.3 Amanda Atanasson defeated Branstine 6-1, 6-2 and No.5 Amit Lev-Ari defeated Hall 6-1, 6-2. At No.6 Yamada won against Jacqueline Tsodikova 6-1, 6-1. Dubavets, Gilbertson and Baker did not have chances to finish their matches.
"It was a good match, positive happy vibes today," said Amanda Atanasson. "Cassidy Branstine started playing better in the second. "It's always tough keeping focus and staying on your game when you have outside distractions but it was good overall."
The Gauchos will travel to UC Riverside on April 14 at 1:30 p.m. for the next Big West Conference match.
UC Santa Barbara 4, UC Irvine 0
Santa Barbara, California
April 9 2017
Doubles (Order to finish: 3, 1)
Singles (Order to finish: 3, 5, 6)
1. Palina Dubavets (UCSB) vs. Constance Branstine (UCI) 6-4, 2-1 (unfinished)
2. Jaimee Gilbertson (UCSB) vs. Vivien Dvali (UCI) 6-3, 5-1 (unfinished)
3. Amanda Atanasson (UCSB) def. Cassidy Branstine (UCI) 6-1, 6-2
4. Melissa Baker (UCSB) vs. Stephanie Hazell (UCI) 2-6, 3-2 (unfinished)
5. Amit Lev-Ari (UCSB) def. Ashlynn Hall (UCI) 6-1, 6-2
6. Stephanie Yamada (UCSB) def. Jacqueline Tsodikova (UCI) 6-1, 6-1