STOCKTON, Calif. - The UC Santa Barbara men's tennis team returned from a lengthy lay-off to record a 4-3 road win over the University of the Pacific, a West Coast Conference opponent, on Saturday afternoon.
The victory improves the Gauchos' record to 3-1 on the season.
UCSB's No. 1 doubles team of Morgan Mays and Simon Freund, ranked 12th nationally, got things off to a fast start in Stockton, racing to a 6-1 win. The No. 2 team, Nicolas Moreno de Alboran and Anders Holm, sealed the doubles point for the Gauchos with a 6-3 win. UCSB 1 - Pacific 0.
Freund, Cody Rakela and Holm, playing at the 3, 6 and 6 singles positions respectively, made short work of their Tiger opponents, sweeping their matches in straight sets, none of which were closer than 6-2, to put 4 points on the board and post the Gauchos' third win of the season. Chase Masciorini was beaten at the no. 4 position. UCSB 4 - Pacific 1.
With the match in hand, the third sets on courts no. 1 and no. 2 were shortened to 'match tie-breakers'. Both Mays and Moreno de Alboran dropped the tiebreakers 10-8, resulting in the final 4-3 scoreline which made the match appear much closer than it actually was.
"We locked this one up pretty early," Head Coach Marty Davis said. "Our match tiebreakers towards the end kept [Pacific] in contention but we'll take the 4-3 win and move on down the road to Fresno."
The UCSB men face a much deeper Fresno State team Sunday at Wathen Tennis Center. Surprisingly, the Gauchos haven't posted a win on the Bulldog's home court in over a decade. The Gauchos drubbed the Bulldogs 7-0 last season in Santa Barbara. The match, originally slated for noon, will begin at 1:00 p.m.
UCSB 4, Pacific 3
Eve Zimmerman Tennis Center- Stockton, CA
Feb 11, 2017
2. Nicolas Moreno/Anders Holm (UCSB) def. Akram El Sallaly/Tadiwa Chinamo (Pacific) 6-3
3. Miguel Diaz/Ross Watson (Pacific) def. Chase Macsiorini/Kristian Prior (UCSB) 6-3
1. Miguel Diaz (Pacific) def. Morgan Mays (UCSB) 3-6, 6-2, 1-0
2. Tadiwa Chinamo def. Nicolas Moreno (UCSB) 7-6, 6-7, 1-0
3. Simon Freund (UCSB) def. Akram El Sallaly 6-2, 6-2
4. Alex Giannini (Pacific) def. Chase Masciorini (UCSB) 1-6, 3-6
5. Cody Rakela (UCSB) def. Ross Watson (Pacific) 6-2, 6-3
6. Anders Holm (UCSB) def. Lance Ngo (Pacific) 6-2, 6-1