PEBBLE BEACH, Calif. - The UCSB men's tennis team took care of business Saturday afternoon defeating the University of San Francisco 6-1. Currently on a three-game winning streak, the Gauchos improve to 5-1 overall and finish their road trip up against Cal this Sunday.
Freund also handed his opponent in singles, adding on to a six-game win streak dating back to UCSB's first match of the year against San Diego State Jan. 14. The LSU transfer has been a major component of the Gauchos' success ever since his arrival to Santa Barbara. Pairing up with Mays, the duo jumped from No. 12 to No. 8 overall in doubles this past week.
"Simon's been a great addition and has really found his niche on the team, Head Coach Marty Davis said. "His singles streak is a big testament to this."
The Gauchos pick things back up tomorrow with a 1 p.m. match at Cal. The Bears are currently 5-1 overall coming off a 4-3 win against No. 15 UCLA. The match will be held at Hellman Tennis Complex.
UCSB 6, USF 1
2. Nicolas Moreno/Anders Holm (UCSB) def. Ryan Marker/Paul Giraud (USF), 6-0
Order of Finish: 2,3,1
1. Johan Joenhagan (USF) def. Morgan Mays (UCSB), 7-6, 7-5
2. Nicolas Moreno (UCSB) def. Mert Zincliri (USF), 6-4, 7-6
3. Simon Freund (UCSB) def. Ryan Marker (USF), 6-1, 6-2
4. Cody Rakela (UCSB) def. Oliver Poysti (USF), 6-3, 6-4
5. Anders Holm (UCSB) def. Woravin Kumthonkittikul (USF), 6-3, 7-5
6. Teague Hamilton (UCSB) def. Paul Giraud (USF), 6-4, 6-3
Oder of Finish: 3, 6, 4, 5, 2, 1