Los Angeles, Calif. - No. 38 UC Santa Barbara finished up the ITA Kickoff Weekend tournament in Southern California with a 4-1 victory against UNC Wilmington. The Gauchos gave up the doubles point to No. 80 UNCW, but rebounded with four wins in singles to earn the consolation bracket win. The team now stands at 1-3 following the victory, and the Gauchos will head back to Santa Barbara finishing third in the group behind Santa Clara and USC.
The Gauchos could not maintain control of the doubles point despite holding match points on courts one and three. On court two, Joseph Guillin and Alejandro Vedri dispatched the number two pair for UNCW 6-3. Even though UCSB lost the two hard fought battles in doubles, they adjusted well with a complete effort in singles.
It started when No. 8 Guillin was the first off with a 6-2, 6-0 victory on court one. Victor Krustev followed up with a 6-4, 6-2 win while Joseph Rotheram finished up a 6-4, 6-3 triumph on court four.
The clinching opportunities came down to Vedri, Luka Vukmanovic, and Josh Williams. Williams, the freshman from Rye, New York ended up being the man of the match for UCSB, going up with a quick 6-1 win in set one before falling behind 0-3 in set two. He won the deuce point en-route to a 7-5, match-clinching victory.
"I'm glad to get my first dual-season win as a Gaucho, and its an accomplishment for me to clinch one for our team," Josh said following the win. "I just hope this gets our squad back on track this season."
Head Coach Marty Davis also expressed a similar sentiment. "Josh was huge for us today. This is our worst start as a team in I think 21 years so it feels good for us to play well."
The Gauchos head back to Santa Barbara to prepare for the upcoming road trip back to the Southern California.
#38 UCSB 4, #80 UNCW
Jan. 26, 2020 | Marks Tennis Stadium | Los Angeles, Calif.
1. #8 Joseph Guillin (UCSB) def. Austin Hussey (UNCW) 6-2, 6-0
2. Victor Krustev (UCSB) def. Bruno Caula (UNCW) 6-4, 6-2
3. Leonardo Sprovieri (UNCW) vs. Alejandro Vedri (UCSB) 7-5, 4-2, unfinished
4. Joseph Rotheram (UCSB) def. Daniel Groom (UNCW) 6-4, 6-3
5. Davide Innocenti (UNCW) vs. Luka Vukmanovic (UCSB) 6-3, 4-4, unfinished
6. Joshua Williams (UCSB) def. Michael Copeland (UNCW) 6-1, 7-5
1. #36 Bruno Caula/Daniel Groom (UNCW) def. Victor Krustev/Joseph Rotheram (UCSB) 7-6 (7-4)
2. Joseph Guillin/Alejandro Vedri (UCSB) def. Michael Copeland/Austin Hussey (UNCW) 6-3
3. Dillon Gooch/Cole Groetsch (UNCW) def. Alex Soto/Luka Vukmanovic (UCSB) 7-6 (7-3)
Order of finish: Doubles (2,1,3); Singles (1,2,4,6)