Los Angeles, Calif. -
The UC Santa Barbara men's tennis team prevailed in a hotly contested match against LMU, 4-3. They wrapped up the win by going three straight and four of five in singles after the doubles point fell through. Beginning the entirety of the dual meet season on the road, the Gauchos have endured the slow start to emerge at 2-3 after the first half of this weekend's road trip.
No road win comes easy, and this one was no different for UCSB. The teams traded wins in doubles, with Alex Soto and Luka Vukmanovic falling 6-1 on court three before Joseph Guillin and Alejandro Vedri picked them up with a 6-3 win on two. Joseph Rotheram and Victor Krustev had the clinching opportunity, but for the third match in the row the duo lost the match tiebreak, this time 8-6 (7-6).
"Right now as a team we are just happy to have the road win," said Head Coach Marty Davis. "But we have so much room for improvement."
Overall, UCSB is 1-4 in doubles on the season, the only win coming in the 4-1 team loss to UW.
The Gauchos have received a boost from the insertion of Joshua Williams onto court six for the past two duals. After getting his first career win as a Gaucho last week, the freshman doubled up with a nice and neat 6-1, 6-2 win to be the first off. Guillin joined him shortly thereafter with a comfortable win on court one by a score of 6-3 6-2. Victor Krustev stretched the Gaucho run to three with his win on the second court 6-1, 6-2.
Once Alex Soto let a match get away from him on court five with a loss 6-3, 6-2, it came down to Alejandro on three and Joey on four to seal the come from behind win. Vedri, the Big West Men's Tennis Athlete of the Week, clinched with a 6-4 victory in the third set. Joey played the match out on court four to a 10-8 'loss.'
Davis finished by wrapping up the team's disposition heading into the remainder of the season. "It feels like we didn't do enough to earn this victory. We still competed hard and I'm proud, but it feels like [the Lions] lost moreso than we went in and won."
The team travels to Malibu to take on Pepperdine on Sunday at 2 pm. Joseph Guillin recently won the 2019 ITA Southwest Regional hosted by Pepperdine; meanwhile, the Waves are undefeated this season (3-0).
Official NCAA Tennis Dual Match Results (Final)
UC Santa Barbara vs Loyola Marymount University
02/01/2020 at LOS ANGELES --
UC Santa Barbara 4, Loyola Marymount University 3
- Joseph Guillin (UCSB) def. Diego Nava (LMUMT20) 6-3, 6-2
- Victor Krustev (UCSB) def. Mayo Keenan (LMUMT20) 6-1, 6-2
- Alejandro Vedri (UCSB) def. Lucas Moreno (LMUMT20) 6-3, 1-6, 6-4
- Max Kaiser (LMUMT20) def. Joseph Rotheram (UCSB) 7-6, 3-6, 9-8
- Austin Di Giulio (LMUMT20) def. Alex Soto (UCSB) 6-3, 6-2
- Joshua Williams (UCSB) def. Ethan Prost (LMUMT20) 6-1, 6-2
- Thien Nguyen and Diego Nava (LMUMT20) def. Victor Krustev and Joseph Rotheram (UCSB) 7-6
- Joseph Guillin and Alejandro Vedri (UCSB) def. Ethan Prost and Mayo Keenan (LMUMT20) 6-3
- Max Kaiser and Ryan Brown (LMUMT20) def. Alex Soto and Luka Vukmanovic (UCSB) 6-1
Order of finish: Singles -- 6 1 2 5 3 4 ; Doubles -- 3 2 1
Start Time: 11:00