TUCSON, Ariz. - The UCSB men's tennis team came up short against #23 Arizona on Sunday, losing 7-0 for their sixth loss in eight games. While the Gauchos have consistently remained competitive on the scorecard this season, this loss marks the worst differential since the season opening loss at Oregon.
#8 Joseph Guillin drew a tough draw against #76 Flip Malbasic, who battled to straight set victories against the reigning Big West Tennis Athlete of the Week. Victor Krustev and Joseph Rotheram lost 6-2 in doubles, but each were able to win a set in singles before they too were defeated.
"We have some more tough tests ahead of us," said Head Coach Marty Davis. "If we want to be a good team it starts with getting better on the road."
The Gauchos will head to Minnesota on Saturday for a 1pm matchup.
- Malbasic/Karpovets (ARIZ) def. Krustev/Rotheram (UCSB) 6-2
- Guillin/Vedri (UCSB) vs. Horwood/Lagaev (ARIZ) 4-5
- Hassey/Reguant (ARIZ) def. Soto/Vukmanovic 6-3
- #76 Filip Malbasic (ARIZ) def. #8 Joseph Guillin (UCSB) 7-5, 7-5
- Alejandro Reguant (ARIZ) def. Victor Krustev (UCSB) 7-5, 5-7, 1-0 (12-10)
- Igor Karpovets (ARIZ) def. Alejandro Vedri (UCSB) 6-4, 6-2
- Nick Lagaev (ARIZ) def. Joseph Rotheram (UCSB) 4-6, 6-3, 1-0 (10-2)
- Carlos Hassey (ARIZ) def. Luka Vukmanovic (UCSB) 6-2, 6-0
- Hiroki Sakagawa (ARIZ) def. Joshua Williams (UCSB) 6-1, 6-4