Posted: May 07, 2021
LOS ANGELES, Calif. - Senior Joseph Guillin rallied back after losing the first set to defeat Adrian Oetzbach in his match at No. 1 singles, but it wasn't enough as UC Santa Barbara fell to 28th-ranked Pepperdine in the First Round of the NCAA Tournament at USC, 4-1.
The Gauchos (10-6) and Waves (16-6) split the first two doubles matches with Kai Brady and Guillin winning 6-2 over Daniel De Jonge and Pietro Fellin at No. 3, but Corrado Summaria and Tim Zeitvogel defeated Victor Krustev and Joseph Rotheram 6-2 at No. 2, clinching the point.
"That is the best doubles at No. 3 that we've had this year," said head coach Marty Davis. "Those two (Brady and Guillin) are practically undefeated at No. 3 this year, so that was very impressive."
The Brady-Guillin duo finishes the year with a 7-1 record.
In singles, Pepperdine made it 2-0 when Fellin topped Brady at No. 6, 6-2, 7-5. It was 3-0 after Zeitvogel topped Pablo Masjuan at No. 4, 6-3, 7-6 (4). Guillin then got UCSB on the board with his 3-6, 6-3, 6-2 win at No. 1 over the 119th-ranked Oetzbach. It was the third consecutive match that he won after losing the first set.
"The great thing about tennis is that it's a puzzle," Davis said. "If you can figure the puzzle out and put the pieces together, you do well, and Joe is masterful at putting the pieces together and figuring things out and winning. Even if loses the first set, he just keeps figuring things out until he ends up with a win."
The match ended when Summaria came back to topple Rotheram at No. 5, 3-6, 7-6 (2), 6-0. At that point the other matches were pulled off the courts. In those matches, Stefano Tsorotiotis was leading Guy Den Ouden, 7-6 (3), 4-6, 6-3 at No. 2, and Krustev was trailing De Jonge at No. 3, 4-6, 6-3, 5-2.
"Joey (Rotheram) played extraordinary tennis for an hour and a half," Davis said. "But the guy he was playing (Summaria) was playing No. 1 for them the last time we played and he just got stronger and stronger."
The loss to the Waves ended a four-match winning streak for the Gauchos, including their sixth consecutive Big West Tournament championship.
#28 Pepperdine 4, UC Santa Barbara 1
May 7, 2021 | Marks Stadium (Los Angeles, Calif.)
(1) #71 Den Ouden/Oetzbach (PEP) def. Tsorotiotis/Vedri (UCSB) - 6-1
(2) Summaria/Zeitvogel (PEP) def. Krustev/Rotheram (UCSB) - 6-2
(3) Brady/Guillin (UCSB) def. De Jonge/Fellin (PEP) - 6-2
Order of finish: 3, 1, 2
Pepperdine wins doubles point.
(1) Joseph Guillin (UCSB) def. #119 Adrian Oetzbach (PEP) - 3-6, 6-3, 6-2
(2) Guy Den Ouden (PEP) vs. Stefano Tsorotiotis (UCSB) - 6-7 (3), 6-4, 4-3 susp.
(3) Daniel De Jonge (PEP) vs. Victor Krustev (UCSB) - 4-6, 6-3, 5-2 susp.
(4) Tim Zeitvogel (PEP) def. Pablo Masjuan (UCSB) - 6-3, 7-6 (4)
(5) Corrado Summaria (PEP) def. Joseph Rotheram (UCSB) - 3-6, 7-6 (2), 6-0*
(6) Pietro Fellin (PEP) def. Kai Brady (UCSB) - 6-2, 7-5
Order of finish: 6, 4, 1, 5*