IRVINE, Calif. – The third-seeded and sixth-ranked UC Santa Barbara men's water polo team advanced to the Golden Coast Conference Championship semifinal round with a 17-7 win over sixth-seeded and 13th-ranked UC Irvine on Friday night at Anteater Aquatics Complex.
HOW IT HAPPENED
- Jonathan Matarangas, Cole Brosnan, Adam Gyenis, Ryan Brosnan, and Sawyer Rhodes helped UCSB build a 5-2 lead by the end of the first quarter, and the Gauchos managed to extend their three-goal lead to four by halftime.
- The Gauchos enjoyed another five-goal quarter in the third, when Logan Sutter scored two and Cole Brosnan, Sam Nangle, and Mason McQuet added one apiece.
- UCSB tacked onto its 13-5 lead in the fourth with four goals to cap off the victory.
- Cole Brosnan and Sutter finished with three goals apiece, while Rhodes scored two goals.
- The Gauchos will face second-seeded and seventh-ranked Pacific on Saturday at 5:00 p.m. The game can be viewed on YouTube and live stats will be available on The Fosh, with both links posted on the men's water polo schedule page.
UCSB is moving to mobile ticketing beginning this season. For more information, click here.