SACRAMENTO, Calif. (Nov. 19, 2022)– The UCSB women's basketball team (3-1) suffered its first loss of the season Saturday night dropping an overtime game on the road at Sacramento State (2-1) 70-68.
ON THE STAT SHEET
- UCSB outshot and outrebounded Sacramento State but suffered 20 turnovers and allowed 13 triples by the Hornets.
- Alexis Tucker scored a season-high 20 points going 7-for-12 from the floor and added seven rebounds and a pair of steals.
- Ila Lane narrowly missed her fourth-straight double-double with eight points and 12 rebounds and tallied two steals as well.
- Alyssa Marin notched 11 points going 4-for-7 with two triples and dished out seven assists.
- Anya Choice went for double figures as well scoring 12.
HOW IT HAPPENED
- UCSB held Sac State to just 33.3% shooting in the first quarter and got going on the offensive end as Marin nailed her two triples to out her team ahead early. An and-one and another late bucket by Tucker saw the Gauchos close out the period up 15-11.
- The Gauchos stretched that lead to as many as 11 doubling up the Hornets at 22-11 but the host team quickly responded with a 13-2 run to tie it at 24 apiece. For the second straight quarter the Hornets would end it with a buzzer-beater three that lifted them to a 33-31 lead at the half. Choice had seven points in the quarter.
- UCSB outshot Sacramento State 58.3% to 36.4% in the third quarter and held the team to just nine points. Lane went for six points and boards including a late basket that saw the Gauchos take a 48-42 lead into the fourth.
- The Gauchos' lead held for the first six and a half minutes until a turnover saw the Hornets score a fastbreak layup to tie it at 57-57. With two minutes to go Taylor Mole took her defender off the dribble from the top of the key and laid it in to give her team the late lead. Key defensive stops kept Sac State at bay and gave UCSB an opportunity to put the game away with Choice at the free-throw line with 10 seconds to go. Unfortunately, Choice would go 1-for-2 and once again the Hornets found a way to get a buzzer-beater triple that sent the game to overtime.
- Sacramento State opened overtime with a three and after three minutes of play led 66-64 until Tucker got a perfect entry pass from Choice and scored the equalizer in the paint. The Hornets retook the lead with a layup with 16 seconds to go, but once again UCSB responded as Choice tied it up on a touch bucket inside with just nine seconds left. On the final possession Sac State came down the floor and scored the game winner with just one second to go ending the Gauchos season-opening win streak.
UCSB's road stint continues next weekend as the Gauchos head to Southern Utah for a Saturday matinee.