MALIBU, Calif. – The UC Santa Barbara women's tennis team's season was ended Friday morning in a 4-0 loss to No. 28 Stanford in the first round of the NCAA Tournament. The loss also puts an end to the Gauchos' (13-4) 12-match win streak, the longest run the last 25 years.
In doubles, Stanford's Angelica Blake and Emily Arbuthnott and defeated Kira Reuter and Shakhnoza Khatamova 6-2. Then, Elizaveta Volodko and Lise Sentenac fell to Cardinals Michaela Gordon and Miluka Madurawe 6-3, surrending the doubles point.
Stanford won three of the singles matches to complete the win. Emma Higuchi defeated Marta Gonzalez-Ballbe 6-0, 6-0, Ana Geller defeated Sentenac 6-2, 6-1, and Gordon defeated Volodko 6-3, 6-3 to clinch the win for the Cardinals.
This wraps up the Gauchos' 2020-21 season.
Tennis Match Results
No. 28 Stanford vs. UC Santa Barbara
May 7, 2021 at Malibu, Calif.
Ralphs-Straus Tennis Center
No. 28 Stanford 4, UC Santa Barbara 0
- #46 Michaela Gordon (STAN) def. Elizaveta Volodko (UCSB) 6-3, 6-3
- #111 Angelica Blake (STAN) vs. Camille Kiss (UCSB) 7-6 (8-6), 3-2, unfinished
- #108 Shakhnoza Khatamova (UCSB) vs. Emily Arbuthnott (STAN) 6-3, 4-4 unfinished
- Ana Geller (STAN) def. Lise Senetac (UCSB) 6-2, 6-1
- Kira Reuter (UCSB) vs. Sara Choy (STAN) 6-4, 3-6, unfinished
- Emma Higuchi (STAN) def. Marta Gonzalez-Ballbe (CP) 6-0, 6-0
- Gordon/Madurawe (STAN) def. Volodko/Sentenac (UCSB) 6-3
- Blake/Arbuthnott (STAN) def. Reuter/Khatamova (UCSB 6-2
- Choy/Higuchi (STAN) vs. Kiss/Gonzales-Ballbe (UCSB) 4-4, unfinished
UC Santa Barbara 13-4, No. 28 Stanford 14-4
Order of finish: Doubles (2,1); Singles (6,4,1)