BERKELEY, Calif. (Jan. 21, 2023) — The UC Santa Barbara women's tennis team had their biggest test of the young season on the road Saturday, facing down 12th-ranked Cal with only a five-woman squad. Gauchos Amelia Honer and Kira Reuter combined to take down the Golden Bears' top doubles squad, ranked 15th in the nation, and Honer picked up her second singles win of the season, but Cal came away with the victory, 6-1.
INSIDE THE MATCH
Final: #12 Cal 6, UC Santa Barbara 1
Records: UC Santa Barbara 1-1 (1-0 Big West); #12 Cal 1-0 (0-0 Pac-12)
HOW IT HAPPENED
UC Santa Barbara's Amelia Honer and Kira Reuter earned a major doubles victory on court one, taking down the number 15 doubles partnership in the country, as the Gauchos and Golden Bears split the top two doubles courts. However, with UCSB down a partnership, Cal gained an automatic win on court three, securing the doubles point heading into the singles matchups.
In singles play, UCSB's Amelia Horner stood strong against the Golden Bears, winning the top court against a two-time All-American. Unfortunately, the sophomore was the only court able to secure a win. Cal proved their number 12 national ranking with wins on courts two through five and secured an automatic win by forfeit over the Gauchos on court six.
1. Amelia Honer/Kira Reuter (UCSB) def. No. 15 Jessica Alsola/Katja/Wiersholm (Cal), 6-1
2. Haley Giavara/Erin Richardson (Cal) def. Marta Gonzalez-Ballbe/Camille Kiss (UCSB), 6-3*
3. Berta Passola Folch/Hannah Viller Moeller (Cal) def. No Player/No Player (UCSB) by forfeit
Order of Finish – 3, 1, 2*
*Clinched the doubles point
1. No. 49 Amelia Honer (UCSB) def. Haley Giavara (Cal), 2-6, 6-1, 1-0(8)
2. No. 16 Jessica Alsola (Cal) def. Camille Kiss (UCSB), 6-3, 6-3
3. Katja Wiersholm (Cal) def. Kira Reuter (UCSB), 6-1, 6-0
4. No. 93 Hannah Viller Moeller (Cal) def. Marta Gonzalez-Ballbe (UCSB), 6-0, 6-1^
5. Berta Passola Folch (Cal) def. Valentina Khrebtova (UCSB), 6-2, 6-2
6. Makenna Thiel (Cal) def. No Player (UCSB) by forfeit
Order of Finish – 6, 3, 4^, 5, 2, 1
^Clinched the overall match
UC Santa Barbara will head cross-country for a four-team tournament in Auburn, Alabama next weekend, which will feature the hosts — #15 Auburn — as well as UCF and #19 Arizona State. The Gauchos will kick off the weekend with a Friday morning match against the Tigers, set to get underway at 8 a.m. Pacific Time.